I was listening to this YouTube video from Jon Gordon yesterday and he was sharing the moment when most marathon runners give up. Apparently, mile 20/26. I was shocked because you’d think if they make it that far, there’s a “I can’t give up, I’ve come too far!” mentality.
Jon went on to say that people don’t quit when they’re one mile from the finish line because they can see it. The power of vision is huge! This got me to thinking about things in the past I’ve given up on. Lately I’ve been embracing everything from swimming to standing within 5 feet of my friend’s snake tank—both things I wouldn’t have attempted four years ago. So what changed?
In short, I did an overhaul on my mindset. It was much needed despite everyone thinking Professional Counselors must be the most positive people on earth! Nobody’s perfect people. In doing that work, a focus on practicing visualization had to happen to strengthen vision and belief. Do you have a vision? If you do, you have the power to make something special happen in your life. You’ve probably heard this phrase.
“If you can see it, you can achieve it.”
If you’ve found yourself in a place where dreaming has come to a screeching halt, know that there’s hope. Sometimes doing it for ourselves alone isn’t the thing that pushes us and in fact, it is the case for many that playing big to help others keeps them going. Try these simple steps if you need to get back in touch with your vision.
- Decide what it is you really want. No holding back here. Imagine the sky is the limit!
- Commit to showing up. Let’s get real…not much is achieved without taking some form of action.
- Be willing to receive help. Often times we get stuck and give up because of that “Do it yourself.” mentality. We aren’t on earth alone. There are people strategically placed in your life for a reason. Ask for help.
- Embrace the challenges that may come. They are there to make you stronger. Remember that one day your story could impact millions!
- Keep going until your vision/dream has manifested. This step is important. If you’ve ever read “Think & Grow Rich,” you’ll know why. 😉
That’s all for today friends. I truly hope this blog post has inspired you to either identify your dream or recommit to the one you already have. If you’re a Professional Counselor looking for support around mindset, healing from burnout and removing mental blocks, I’d love to have you join my Facebook group, Mindset Healing for Counselors. You can join HERE.
With much gratitude,
Marquita (The Counselor’s Mindset Coach)